Anthrax’s Charlie Benante will be sitting in with the 8G Band on “Late Night With Seth Meyers” next month. You can catch the drummer on July 12-15.
Charlie Benante (Anthrax), Alex Skolnick (Testament), Roberto “Ra” Diaz (Suicidal Tendencies), Brandon Yeagley (Crobot), and MeeEun Kim (Trans-Siberian Orchestra) have shared a quarantine cover of “Subdivisions.” You can check that out below:
“One year ago I had this idea to make a video while in quarantine. I was feeling pretty down about the passing of Neil Peart and about the Pandemic…I needed to be creative and play! I contacted Alex and Ra about doing a Rush song and video and they both liked the idea. I felt that they were probably feeling the same way I was, and that this would be a great way of jamming and entertaining while we were stuck home.
The response to the initial video was overwhelming! It really made us feel good during a bad time. A whole year ago…I cant believe it! It ended up being a year of making music and videos after all; I now have a record that’s coming out May 14 with most of the Jams. The Rush songs will be out on a special EP on Record store day in November. This song will be included on that.
Subdivisions is probably in every Rush fan’s top 10 songs, definitely one of their best. The keyboards dominate this tune and Neil‘s sound on it is so unique! His drum fills are so precise and powerful…like little hooks throughout the song, an air drummer’s dream! The lyrics tell a tale of life in the burbs and being shunned when you don’t meet a certain standard.
In the high school halls
In the shopping malls
Conform or be cast out!
@alexskolnik @ra @brandon bring it big time – Alex captures Lifeson’s vibe so well, Ra kills Geddy’s bass parts and Brandon brings his amazing voice. We’d like to welcome @meeeun ,(Thanks to Alex for the suggestion), she is an awesome musician and kills the keyboard parts on this. I hope you enjoy this one, It may be one of the last ones for a bit…unless Alex wants to do that Emerson lake and palmer tune (hahahahaha)”
Anthrax’s Charlie Benante will be releasing a new covers album titled “Silver Linings” on May 14. The effort will feature various tracks from the drummer’s “quarantine jam video series.” Pre-orders can be found HERE. A portion of the proceeds will go towards the Neal Casal Music Foundation.
“Silver Linings” Track Listing:
01. “City Of Blinding Lights” (U2 cover) (feat. Anthrax’s Frank Bello and Death Angel’s Mark Osegueda)
02. “Chloe Dancer/Crown Of Thorns” (Mother Love Bone cover) (feat. Metal Allegiance’s Mark Menghi and Death Angel’s Mark Osegueda)
03. “Teardrop” (Massive Attack cover) (feat. Butcher Babies’ Carla Harvey and Suicidal Tendencies’ Roberto “Ra” Diaz)
04. “Run-DMC Medley” (Run-DMC cover) (feat. Run-DMC’s Darryl “DMC” McDaniels, Volbeat’s Rob Caggiano, and Suicidal Tendencies’ Roberto “Ra” Diaz)
05. “Rhiannon” (Fleetwood Mac cover) (feat. Metal Allegiance’s Mark Menghi, Beauty In The Machine’s Jennifer Cella, and Randy McStine)
06. “Yer So Bad” (Tom Petty cover) (feat. Butcher Babies’ Carla Harvey and Suicidal Tendencies’ Roberto “Ra” Diaz)
07. “Transylvania” (Iron Maiden cover) (feat. Skid Row’s Dave “Snake” Sabo, Anthrax’s Frank Bello, and Anthrax’s Jon Donais)
08. “Presto Vivace” (U.K. cover) (feat. Suicidal Tendencies’ Roberto “Ra” Diaz, Testament’s Alex Skolnick, and Dream Theater’s Jordan Rudess)
09. “Bad Guy” (Billie Eilish cover) (feat. Suicidal Tendencies’ Roberto “Ra” Diaz)
10. “Jimmy James” (Beastie Boys cover) (feat. Suicidal Tendencies’ Roberto “Ra” Diaz)
11. “All The Way” (KISS cover) (feat. Trixter’s P.J. Farley, Kuarantine’s Joe McGinness, and Rob Zombie’s John 5)
12. “Mr. Speed“ (KISS cover) (feat. Trixter’s P.J. Farley and Kuarantine’s Joe McGinness)
13. “Public Image” (Public Image cover) (feat. Turbonegro’s Hank Von Hell, Sum 41’s Dave “Brownsound” Baksh, and Sum 41’s Jason “Cone” McCaslin)
14. “Funny Vibe” (Living Colour cover) (feat. Suicidal Tendencies’ Roberto “Ra” Diaz, Living Colour’s Corey Glover, and Butcher Babies’ Henry Flury)
Benante said the following about the album:
“Back in February of last year with COVID and all the other B.S. that was going on, I was glued to the 24-hour news cycle on the TV and my phone, and I started to get really depressed. My girlfriend said I needed to turn off the news and suggested I do something creative, whether it was art or drumming or writing new songs, and she was right.”
“I knew a lot of my musician friends were going through the same thing I had been, so I started asking them if they wanted to get involved, play some songs with me, maybe make a video – that’s how it all started.”
“This isn’t a solo album. This is a record of my favorite songs done with some of my friends during a very dark time. We found a shining light and this is the result of that light. I was really happy that my musician friends came on board and helped make this record what it is. I appreciate all of them, and they all did such a fantastic job. Despite all of the darkness we’ve experienced this past year, there are ‘silver linings,’ that’s why I chose that title for the album.”
The record’s first single, Benante’s “Run-DMC Medley” with Darryl “DMC” McDaniels (Run-DMC), Rob Caggiano (Volbeat, ex-Anthrax), and Roberto “Ra” Diaz (Suicidal Tendencies), can be found below: