CNN have shared new footage from the January 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, which appears to show Iced Earth’s Jon Schaffer among a group of rioters who were charging and yelling at officers. The clip, which can be seen at the bottom of this post, was submitted as evidence during Donald Trump’s second impeachment trial. It’s worth mentioning that the video also reportedly features King 810’s David Gunn, who previously claimed that he was there to film a music video.
As previously reported, Schaffer was arrested on January 17 and was being held at Marion County Jail in Indiana, where he was waiting to be extradited to Washington, D.C. He made his first court appearance on January 18 and government lawyers asked a judge to deny him bail when he goes in front of the U.S. magistrate. If you missed it, here’s the initial statement that was issued by the FBI’s Indianapolis Field Office:
“Jon Schaffer, Columbus, IN, has been arrested in connection to Jan 6 incident at the U.S. Capitol. Schaffer faces 6 charges including engaging in an act of physical violence in a Capitol building. Schaffer was allegedly among rioters who sprayed Capitol police with ‘bear spray.’”
The U.S. Department Of Justice also released a “Statement Of Facts,” which includes surveillance camera photos of Schaffer holding bear spray. It also mentioned that he was wearing a “Lifetime Member” hat from the anti-government militia group Oath Keepers. However, the Indiana Oath Keepers have since issued a statement saying he wasn’t a member of their group.
Schaffer is currently facing the following charges:
1) Knowingly Entering or Remaining in any Restricted Building or Grounds Without Lawful Authority
2) Disrupting the Orderly Conduct of Government Business
3) Knowingly Engaging in an Act of Physical Violence Against any Person or Property in any Restricted Building or Grounds
4) Violent Entry and Disorderly Conduct in a Capitol Building
5) Engaging in an Act of Physical Violence in a Capitol Building
6) Parading, Demonstrating, or Picketing in a Capitol Building
Prior to his involvement in the insurrection, Schaffer attended a Trump rally in November 2020 and claimed that “there will be a lot of blood shed” if we “merge into some globalist, communist system.”
[via The PRP]