Metal Anarchy’s New Music Showcase: Exclusive Q&A With Versify

Time for the next edition of Metal Anarchy’s “new music showcase,” the feature where I introduce you to bands that readers of this site may find interesting. This time I have an exclusive Q&A with Versify.

METAL ANARCHY: Tell me a little about your band:

VERSIFY: Sean Spiteri (guitar): We’re a four-piece rock band who formed in the summer of 2019 in Cardiff.

METAL ANARCHY: Who are your main influences?

VERSIFY: Michael Bush (vocals/guitar): I’m a 90’s kid, so a lot of my initial influences came from that period. I started falling in love with Bob Dylan and Neil Young in my late teens. Always looking back.

Sean Spiteri: I personally started playing guitar because of Led Zeppelin and I’ve always loved rock guitars. I was one of the few kids at school who hated the charts, and listened to music that was some 30 years old or guitar based.

Francis James (drums): Collectively, we’re influenced by Led Zeppelin, Rush, Bob Dylan and Jack White, among others.

Aaron Busby (bass): As individuals, we all have quite an eclectic taste, ranging from Rush to Jack White. I think we’d all agree that artists like Neil Young, Led Zeppelin and Bob Dylan have helped us form the foundation of our sound. We do love a good 12-15 minute jam, even if our set lists don’t allow us the time.

METAL ANARCHY: What is your latest release and why should readers of this site check it out?

VERSIFY: Aaron Busby: Our Latest release, ‘Fun For Fire’ is also our debut single, and while it’s our only track out there, we sat on it long enough, so we’re not as green round the ears. It’s a staple of our live set, and I think we all agree that it is like our statement of who we are as a band, cause it features both the songwriting style we utilise, as well as the heavy rhythms and flamboyant guitar work.

Michael Bush: You can listen to ‘Fun For Fire’ on Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube (though I’d prefer you didn’t listen to it there; need to pay the bills you see), and wherever else you can stream or download music.

METAL ANARCHY: What can people expect when they go to your live shows?

VERSIFY: Aaron Busby: Our live shows are usually quite relaxed for us, as we’ve become more comfortable with audience interaction. While we are interested in acoustic gigs, we love our electric ones, cause we get to be a bit noisier. Our long jams occasionally make an appearance, which is always fun, but also a challenge, but I think we keep the audience’s attention quite well.

Sean Spiteri: Expect a lot of improvisation, live. We love recording, but I think we all enjoy performing more. We change the arrangements of our songs and leave space to improvise so that you can really get to know our sound. We can’t wait to see new faces when we can finally gig again.

Michael Bush: You must expect that I will, without a doubt, forget my own words and mumble expletives in their place.

METAL ANARCHY: Where do you see your band heading in 5 years?

VERSIFY: Sean Spiteri: I personally see ourselves playing bigger venues. We would have definitely released a lot more music by that point too, but don’t wait five years to listen to us! Come see us now, while we are young and energetic.

Michael Bush: It’s obviously hard to predict something such as that, but I can guarantee at least one thing: That in five years time I will have written about a billion songs, 95% of them will be hot rubbish. The other 5% will keep us going for a while.

Comments are closed.